Thursday, March 25, 2010

How I feel about becoming a writing tutor

When registering to this class on Teaching English, I was aware that I'd soon be learning educational theory. With secondary English education as a goal, I was more than a bit excited to be learning about my planned future. Little did I know that through excellence in this course, I'd be able to put some of these theories and models into practice. I find myself recalling all the times I've heard students complain about the fact that their current courses do not apply to their field of interest. Not only am I blessed with the opportunity to learn about teaching writing, but if I play my cards right (and I must, because I can only play the cards life deals) I can immediately start to make a difference for students. Though it is a truly provocative prospect, more than a few questions have gone through my mind. Would I really be able to help these students? If they do not succeed, am I to blame? Will my personality defects hinder my ability to tutor. I may sound like a nutcase, but the objective of this course is evidently more than giving us the chance to teach writing. These students are just as integral to the success of this class, and they would also like to succeed. I have been told on numerous occasions that I am very adequate when it comes to writing, but this does not entail that I will immediately know how to teach this discipline. I want to ensure that these students go as far as they should, and knowing that the ACT is coming up only places added pressure on myself and the student I'll be assigned to. I would absolutely hate to think that I may somehow be responsible for this student's inability to succeed, but it is also important for both of us to remember that the line between success and intellect is not so thin, and that a "good writer" can not be determined solely on the basis of one hour in a classroom. I know that my student will show improvement, regardless of what the test dictates (of course, I also don't believe my student will fail the exam, but overconfidence does not always yield positive results). I am plagued with problems such as not projecting my voice enough, occasional sarcasm and the ability to make people "feel stupid". Though my biting sense of humor is usually a hit with most people, tutoring requires a good sense of emotional response, as well as well-focused word placement. I was also unaware that posture would be essential in terms of looking engaged. My posture has been awful for as long as I can remember, but I'm more than willing to correct this issue if these students are going to be getting mixed signals beacause of it. It is becoming increasingly difficuly to hide my excitement, and I'm thrilled about the journey our class is about to embark on.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You have a lot of passion for teaching and writing. This is a well-written and thoughtful post.

    It is great that you realize your biting humor could be a problem in teaching. All you can do is be aware of it and work it out. But SOME humor can also be very helpful. Just be as sensitive to the student's feelings as you can be. I have confidence you'll do well with this though. You have worked really hard and you clearly want this to work. Desire is more than half the battle. Work is often the rest of it--with a dash of luck coming in third!

    ReplyDelete